It is with great pleasure that I take this opportunity to welcome you and your children to the P.S 108K school community. Together we will ensure that your children are prepared for college and careers. I am extremely proud of the quality education that we provide to all students. I look forward to working with you to ensure that the 2020-21 school year is a rewarding one for you and your children.
The vision of P.S.108K is to collaboratively educate the whole child, intellectually, physically, emotionally, and socially, whether in the classroom or remotely in partnership with families so they become life-long learners and our future leaders.
P.S.108K’s school community is committed to the academic, social, and emotional success of every child through 21st century learning whether in the classroom or remotely so they are college and career ready. We will accomplish this collaboratively with students, parents/guardians, members of the community and staff by:
· Working together with data-driven, shared goals to impact all students including SWD’s, ELL’s, and high achievers.
· Providing classroom/online resources and support necessary to ensure that staff, parents/guardians, and students embrace the Next Generation learning standards despite obstacles and challenges they may encounter on the journey.
· Persevering and developing a growth mindset that will empower our students to be effective future leaders in the digital age.
· Providing opportunities for students, parents and teacher’s voice in making school-wide decisions.
HANDBOOK POLICY AND PROMISE
Students and parents are expected to be knowledgeable of the contents of this handbook and practice its policies.
INSTRUCTIONAL FOCUS: EVIDENCE
Our school’s Instructional Focus is Evidence in Argument: students will develop the skill of using evidence to support arguments in discussion, which will then transfer to stronger writing in literacy and math, and develop the communication and collaboration skills that support college and career readiness.
STUDENT/PARENT SCHOOL CONTRACT
STUDENT: I understand as a student of P.S.108K, that in order to be successful I agree to do the following:
- I will come to school on time each day and/or log onto Google Classroom on time to participate in live lessons.
- I will follow social distancing guidelines and stay 6 feet away from other people.
- I will wear my face mask to protect myself and those around me
- I will come to school ready to learn each day and/or have all of the materials I need for my remote, live instruction.
- I will have each day’s homework completed and ready to hand in.
- I will come to school dressed in my school uniform: Girls: Navy skirt, jumper, skirt or pants; light blue shirt, Navy Cross tie, and navy cardigan. Boys: Navy pants, light blue shirt, navy tie, navy cardigan.
- I will respect my parents, my teachers, and my fellow students.
- I will respect all areas of the school building.
- I will follow all of the rules of the school.
- I will work to reach the highest expectations.
- I will settle my differences without fighting.
- I will be courteous: “please”, “excuse me”, and “thank you” will be part of my daily vocabulary.
PARENTS/GUARDIANS TO THE CHILDREN:
We will support and encourage you to reach your highest expectations. We will do this by committing to the following:
- We will make sure you are in school daily, unless you are ill or injured and ensure that my child participates in live, remote instruction.
- We will make sure you go to school on time every day and/or log onto Google Classroom on time to participate in live lessons.
- We will review and sign your homework every night.
- We will stress that adults, peers and property need to be respected.
- We will stress that doing what is right, is always right.
- We will let you know that we are proud of your accomplishments.
- We will be role models for you.
SCHOOL: As a school, in order to provide our students with every opportunity to be successful, we agree to the following:
1. We will make every effort to provide you with a safe environment.
2. We will offer you challenging instruction in a respectful environment.
3. We will encourage each student to reach his/her highest expectations.
4. We will communicate all school related events to parents/guardians.
5. We will recognize your accomplishments.
6. We will provide an atmosphere conducive to learning.
7. We will respect and treat you as an individual.
8. We will make time to listen to you.
9. We will make time to talk to you.
HOME EMERGENCY CONTACT FORM
All parents are required to fill out a home contact form. You must provide us with at least three telephone numbers where we can contact someone in case of illness or an emergency.
Please inform us if you get a new telephone number or need to add or delete a number or contact on this form.
It is important for you to know that we can only release your child to the people listed in the emergency contact form.
If you move during the school term, it is important that you notify the school of your new address.
“The Spirit of P.S.108K is Excellence-
Strive, Achieve, Succeed”
Main Office 718-277-7010 Ext. 0
Attendance Office 718-277-7010 Ext. 1071
Parent Coordinator 718-277-7010 Ext. 1076
K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th : 8:30am-2:00pm
Pre-K – 3K: 8:45pm – 2:15pm
Monday to Friday
MORNING LINE UP
Every grade will have a designated arrival and dismissal exit/door
Monday through Friday:
If a student arrives on an incorrect day, school will use the blue card and or other resources to contact parents to pick the student up. Students who attend the wrong day must be picked up immediately or walk home if you sign the permission slip for your child to do so in order to adhere to COVID-19 guidelines.
Breakfast in the Classroom for 3K-5th
Students will go directly to their classrooms where a healthy breakfast will be waiting for them. Please ensure that your child does not arrive earlier than 8:25 A.M. to avoid your child waiting in the cold, rain or other inclement weather. Please note that staff members will not be available to supervise your child until 8:25 A.M. Students will not be permitted in the school earlier than 8:25 A.M. Students must line up outside 6 ft apart so that Health Screenings, temperature checks and hand sanitizing can take place before they enter the building. If a child has a fever, he/she must return home to seek medical attention.
Student Arrival Locations:
|5th||8:25AM-8:35AM||Outside Exit 2 on Linwood Street|
|4th||8:25AM-8:35AM||Outside Exit 2 on Linwood Street|
|3rd||8:25AM-8:35AM||Outside Exit 6 in the Schoolyard|
|2nd||8:25AM-8:35AM||Outside Exit 3 on Linwood St|
|1st||8:25AM-8:35AM||Outside Exit 7 in the Schoolyard|
|Kindergarten||8:25AM-8:35AM||Outside Exit 5 on Arlington|
|Pre-K||8:45AM-8:55AM||Exit 3 on Linwood St.|
Student Dismissal Locations:
|5th||2:00PM||Outside Exit 4 on Linwood St|
|4th||2:00PM||Outside Exit 4 on Linwood St|
|3rd||2:00PM||Outside Exit 2 on Linwood St|
|2nd||2:00PM||Outside Exit 3 on Linwood St|
|1st||2:00PM||Outside Exit 6 in the Schoolyard|
|Kindergarten||2:00PM||Outside Exit 7 in the Schoolyard|
|Pre-K||2:15PM||Exit 7 in the Schoolyard|
|3K||2:15PM||Main Doors to Classroom|
Dismissal for All Grades:
If you pick up your child, please be on time. Children not picked up on time will remain outside waiting to picked up to adhere to social distancing guidelines where we will do our best to contact someone listed on the emergency home contact card. In case of an emergency and we cannot contact any person on the emergency contact card.
Please make sure we have all working telephone numbers on the emergency home contact card.
Notify the school if your contact numbers change during the school year.
In case of inclement weather:
Students will be dismissed outside even despite inclement weather and so that they can maintain 6 feet apart. It is imperative that you arrive on time to pick up your child to avoid your child waiting in the rain or cold weather.
STUDENT ABSENCES & LATENESSES
Any student absent from school must have a note explaining the reason for the absence. If a student must be absent for a period of more than one day, the parent/guardian should call the school office or send a note explaining the absence. If your child is not feeling well and is presenting COVID-19 symptoms, please keep your child home. If your child was scheduled to attend school in person, your child will be able to work remotely if they feel well enough to do so. If your child is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, it is essential you seek medical attention.
N.Y. State Compulsory School Attendance Law governs procedures schools must follow concerning attendance.
In Person: Student is physically present in the classroom / school learning environment for instruction during the scheduled school day.
Remote: Student is virtually present in a virtual learning environment for synchronous (live) instruction during the scheduled school day.
Phone calls, responding to class DoJo, emails, submitting work electronically, will no longer be considered as the student being present in school.
PS 108K is very fortunate to have a Department of Health Nurse assigned to our school on a full time basis. Parents are encouraged to discuss all medical needs and concerns with her. Parents are also asked to provide the nurse with all “Return to School” medical notes after the child has been absent.
Four Core Actions for Preventing the Spread of COVID-19
Stay Home if Sick Only leave for essential medical care and testing or other essential errands.
Keep Physical Distance stay at least 6 feet away from other people.
Keep Hands Clean wash your hands often with soap and water. use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
Wear a Face Covering You can be contagious without symptoms. Protect those around you by wearing a face covering. Face covering is MANDATORY
MONEY SENT TO SCHOOL
Students are discouraged from bringing money or other valuables to school except for specific purposes. Neither the teacher nor the school can be held responsible when money or personal items are lost or stolen.
When paying for lunch, pictures, field trips, lost textbooks or other school activities, please place payment in a sealed envelope with the student’s name and class clearly printed on the outside of the envelope.
NO FIDGET SPINNERS / TOYS
P.S. 108K has a no fidget spinner/toy policy. There is no place for toys in school, such as fidget spinners or fidget cubes. Please speak with your children regarding fidget spinners and fidget cubes. Tell them to keep the spinners at home. They are a distraction during class time.
If a student is caught with a fidget spinner, it will be confiscated and given to the parent coordinator, Rafael Amadeo. Only a parent or legal guardian can pick up the fidget spinner from Mr. Amadeo in the main office.
CELL PHONE POLICY
Cell Phones should NOT be seen or heard anywhere on school property or during the school day. This includes timers, alarms and any other noises. If a student’s device is seen or heard it will be confiscated. This includes during lunch, recess or any free period.
Confiscation and return of electronic items
· First infraction – Confiscation of item and parent/guardian contacted to pick up device
· Second infraction – Confiscation of item and return after 5 school days to a parent/guardian
· Third infraction – Confiscation of item and return after 10
school days to a parent/guardian
· Fourth infraction – Student will not be allowed to bring item into the school building
Wash your hands often with soap and water. use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
The classroom paraprofessional escorts each 3K and Pre-K student to their bathroom, located next to their classrooms.
Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd graders will go to the bathroom in pairs.
3rd, 4th and 5th graders will go the bathroom alone.
Students having to use the bathroom excessively must have medical documentation.
The following strategies will be employed as a means of establishing an educational environment within the classroom:
1. All students will be seated 6 ft. away from others and that they must stay in that space throughout the day for the safety and well-being of themselves and others.
2. Students will have their lunch in the classroom
Students must wear their masks except for eating breakfast and lunch.
3. All students should enter the classroom quietly and await teacher’s instructions, e.g., follow the teacher’s system for putting away coats, book bags, etc…
4. No chewing of gum, etc. is allowed in the classroom.
5. Students should raise their hands to answer questions or for the teacher’s acknowledgment. There is no talking or calling out in the classroom.
6. All students should go directly to their assigned seats.
7. No student should leave his/her seat without permission from the teacher.
8. All students must come to school with the materials necessary for the school day, e.g., homework, books, notebooks, pen, pencils, etc…
9. Each student is responsible for keeping his/her work area clean.
10. All students should demonstrate courteous behavior in the classroom, in recognition of the rights of others to work and learn in an orderly manner.
11. Teacher’s authority must be recognized at all times. All established classroom procedures must be followed. Violent, dangerous and/or destructive behavior or actions are forbidden, such as refusing to wear a facial covering/mask, keeping social distancing and can lead to suspensions.
12. Proper English language is encouraged. Slang, vulgar and offensive language is not permitted on school grounds or on virtual sites, such as Google Classroom.
Homework is assigned every night without exception.
The purpose of homework is to extend and reinforce classroom learning and to develop in children a sense of self-discipline, personal responsibility and independent thinking.
All homework assignments are purposeful and related to class activities, as well as to individual children’s interests, needs and abilities.
1. Homework must be completed daily.
2. The school heading must be on all school
Name: ______________ School: _____________
Class: _______________ Date: ______________
3. If homework is not done or is incomplete for a legitimate reason, a written explanation signed by the parent/guardian is required.
4. Assignments should be signed by parents to confirm that homework has been completed and reviewed by an adult.
Every child is expected to read for 20 minutes each night.Younger children should be read to every night. Children are expected to read a minimum of 25 books each school year. Children must read a balance of fiction and non-fiction books.
RESPECT FOR ADULTS AND PEERS
Ä Students will use respectful language.
Ä All students will follow the directions of all teachers, administrators, paraprofessionals, and school aides.
Ä Students will maintain a reasonable speaking tone at all times.
Ä Students will be courteous to others and helpful whenever possible.
The following are P.S.108K’s intervention procedures that will be implemented. The intervention procedures will focus on improving achievement through behavioral modifications. Academic intervention procedures are designed to intervene with behavioral issues while providing small group and/or individual academic instruction.
1. Students will receive verbal warnings from P.S.108K staff members.
2. Parents/guardians will be called and /or a letter will be sent home from a P.S.108K staff member.
3. Students will be placed on a Weekly Conduct Sheet.
4. Students will receive Intervention services focusing on behavioral modifications possibly in an alternate setting.
5. A meeting with the parent/guardian and a teacher/staff member will be arranged.
6. Pupil Personnel Team meeting with a parent/guardian will be arranged to discuss the appropriate resolution to improve behavior.
In an effort to limit the number of visitors in the school at any given time, schools are encouraged, where possible, to address all visitor and parent concerns by phone or computer.
Meetings with teachers or staff will be conducted remotely where possible (e.g. Zoom, MS Teams, Google Meets).
Everyone entering the building is required to sign in at the Security Desk and present photo ID.
All visitors must then go directly to the main office.
Office hours are from 2:00-2:20pm
No visitors may go to classrooms unless it has been approved by an administrator. All visitors must be escorted to and from their destination, in order to prevent visitors from accessing unauthorized areas, limiting the possibility of exposure.
Please adhere to these rules to ensure a secure and safe environment for our students. All visitors must exit via the main entrance. Please help us to maintain a polite and respectful manner within the school, as we all must set a good example for all our students.
INCLEMENT WEATHER INFORMATION
When unusual weather conditions cause a possible delayed opening or school closing, announcements will be made over the following media:
WINS (1010AM) WCBS (880AM)
WADO (1250AM) WLIB (1190AM)
NY1 Channel 1 – Cable TV
NY1 Spanish Channel 801 – Cable TV
FOX Channel 5
In case of an emergency that requires an evacuation, students will be secured in one of the following sites:
- J.H.S. 302 Rafael Cordero
- P.S. 065
You must show official I.D., wear a facial covering and sign in at the security desk to receive a pass to the main office.
You may meet with your child’s teacher by appointment virtually. Teachers usually have one period each day when they will be available for conferences. It would be in your best interest to call for an appointment.
The administration welcomes meeting with any parent/guardian to discuss problems, concerns, etc. Also, a Parent Concern Form can be found in the main office. Please write your child’s name, class, telephone number where you can be reached, and the nature of the problem. Return the form to our Parent Coordinator. We will get back to you within 24 hours. Let us know how we can help you because your child’s well-being is our primary concern.
Parent Conferences are held four times a year, in September, November, March and in May. Your child’s report cards are only given to the parent or guardian during the November and March conferences. You will receive a notice giving you the exact times and dates. In addition, we will have an Open House in September to introduce you to your child’s teacher and give a general overview of the curriculum, the schools rules, etc …
MESSAGE TO PARENTS/GUARDIANS
This handbook is very important for both you and your child.
P.S.108K School Website – www.ps108k.org
Instagram – @ps108k
Students PS108K Gmail
NYC SCHOOLS ACCOUNT
The New York City Department of Education’s NYC Schools Account you will allow you to access key information about your child’s progress in school. With a NYC Schools account, you will be able to view your child’s attendance, grades, and contact information in one of ten languages on a computer, phone, or tablet. The system will allow you to view your child’s attendance for the current school year, including the number of days he or she was late or absent. This new innovative system will also allow you to view your child’s report card grades and any teacher comments for each marking period in the current school year. You will also be able view the contact information on file at your school for you and your child. At the end of August you will also have the ability to view your child’s assessment information from the NYS Exams. To create an account please visit the link provided here http://schools.nyc.gov/myaccount or contact our Parent Coordinator, Rafael Amadeo, for assistance by calling him at or emailing him at email@example.com.